Sunday, August 2, 2009

Thing 17 - Rollyo

I was frustrated with Rollyo because it was working very slow. Once I got past my frustration I was able to appreciate what Rollyo has to offer. It is a good site for teachers/librarians to set up search engines for students that will limit their search to trusted websites. It will save students a lot of time and meaningful research will be done. Before you read any further, please understand that I do believe Rollyo is a powerful resources for teachers, librarians, and students.

Since I have a unit in which my second graders research one historical person, I decided to create my searchroll on historical people. This was hard because I did a search for other searchrolls on historical people and didn't find any. Since I usually have students research on the web sites that the district provides, I tried to add some of those sites to my searchroll. Lo and behold, most of them needed userids and passwords because, of course, I am working offline and not in district right now. So I couldn't do that. I really don't know of any kid-friendly sites that have information on important historical figures, so if any of you out there do, please add a comment and let me know. I got through the assignment and created a searchroll but I am not too proud of it. I got the groundwork done. When I learn of more trusted sites, I will add them to my searchroll. Here's what I've got so far.
http://rollyo.com/clemenciarocks/mrs._ramirez_2/

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Is it possible for one person to be many things? First off, I am a wife. I married the most wonderful man in the world on January 17, 2009. His name is Victor. We are currently enjoying our time getting to know each other even more as husband and wife. I am a daughter. My parents have been happily married for 41 years. Their names are Cutberto and Esther. I am a sister. I have the most amazing pair of sisters. Their names are Maria and Minerva. I also have 3 brothers whose names are Ramiro, Cutberto, and Orlando. I am the youngest of the six! I am an aunt. I have 5 nephews and 5 nieces. I am a teacher. I teach 2nd grade and love it. I teach bilingual (Eng/Span) education, self-contained. Those kids can always make you smile! I am a student. In January 2009 I began the Masters in Library Science program at the University of Houston-Clear Lake. I am enjoying my classes very much. You wouldn't believe how much I have grown and learned in the past 6 months. Which brings me to my last "I am"... I am an aspiring librarian. I have always wanted to be one. I would like to find a job in the district that I work in now, but we shall see where God will take me!